Sol LeWitt: A Wall Drawing Retrospective—on view at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA), in North Adams, Massachusetts—honors the legacy of Sol LeWitt, one of the most influential contemporary artists of the last half-century. Conceived by the Yale University Art Gallery, in collaboration with the artist before his death in April 2007, the landmark installation was realized through the joint efforts of three institutions: the Gallery, MASS MoCA, and the Williams College Museum of Art, in Williamstown, Massachusetts. It consists of one hundred of LeWitt’s famous wall drawings, covering nearly an acre of wall surface and representing forty years of his career (1968–2007). The works are on long-term loan from numerous private and public collections worldwide, including the Gallery, to which LeWitt donated a number of wall drawings. The exhibition opened on November 16, 2008, and was initially intended to remain on view for twenty-five years. Now extended for an additional decade, through 2043, the retrospective is housed in a 27,000-square-foot historic mill building in the heart of MASS MoCA’s campus. The three-story structure, which was fully restored for this exhibition by Bruner/Cott and Associates architects, was outfitted with a complex sequence of new interior walls constructed to LeWitt’s own specifications.
Exhibition organized by the Yale University Art Gallery, MASS MoCA, and the Williams College Museum of Art. Yale University Art Gallery funding is provided by Happy and Bob Doran, B.A. 1955; Julia Childs and Harrison H. Augur, B.A. 1964; Elizabeth Ballantine, B.A. 1971, M.A. 1974, M.Phil. 1974, M.S.L. 1982, Ph.D. 1986; Nina M. Griggs; Paul E. Francis, B.A. 1977; Carol LeWitt; Agnes Gund and Daniel Shapiro; Robert Mangold, B.F.A. 1961, M.F.A. 1963, and Sylvia Plimack Mangold, B.F.A. 1961; Anna Marie and Robert F. Shapiro, B.A. 1956; Robert A. Feldman, Esq., LL.B. 1961; Julia Mangold and Hannah R. Mangold; Carolyn H. Grinstein and Gerald Grinstein, B.A. 1954; Mr. and Mrs. Morris Cartin on behalf of the Morris B. and Edith S. Cartin Foundation; Angela K. Westwater; and Marion B. Stroud.