American Decorative Arts
Maker: Johann Christoph Heyne, American, born Germany, 1715–1781

Covered Chalice

1753–81

Pewter

11 1/16 in. (28.1 cm) other (rim): 4 1/4 in.(10.8 cm) other (Cover): 4 3/8 in.(11.1 cm) base (Base): 4 9/16 in.(11.6 cm) other (Without cover): 8 7/8 in.(22.5 cm)
Mabel Brady Garvan Collection, by exchange
1966.1
The maker of this chalice, Johann Christoph Heyne, was a Moravian minister who emigrated from his native Germany to Pennsylvania in the 1750s. Not surprisingly, most of his surviving work as a pewterer consists of objects used to celebrate the Eucharist in Lutheran and Moravian churches in German-speaking communities around Lancaster. Heyne had trained as a pewterer in Sweden, where he absorbed the Baroque style so superbly expressed in this covered chalice. The tall proportions and controlled rhythm of concave and convex moldings on this chalice are typical of the Baroque in northern continental Europe. Heyne also used the same mold to make both the cover and base.
Culture: 
American
Period: 
18th century
Classification: 
Containers - Metals
Geography: 
Made in Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Status: 
On view
Provenance: 

Carl and Celia Jacobs, Deep River, Conn.; By exchange in 1966 to Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, Conn.

Bibliography: 

Charles F. Montgomery, A History of American Pewter (New York: Dutton, 1973), 234.

John Carter, “A Checklist of the Extant Pewter of Johann Christoph Heyne,” Pewter Collectors’ Club of America 7, no. 1 (December 1974): 28, no. 28.

Charles F. Montgomery and Patricia E. Kane, eds., American Art: 1750–1800 Towards Independence, exh. cat. (Boston: New York Graphic Society, 1976), 228–30, fig. 200.

Gerald W. R. Ward, “American Pewter, Brass, and Iron in the Yale University Art Gallery,” Antiques (June 1980): 1306, pl. 3, ill.

David L. Barquist, American and English Pewter at the Yale University Art Gallery: A Supplementary Checklist (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Art Gallery, 1985), 15, 41–42, 78, no. 231, ill.

Handbook of the Collections, exh. cat. (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Art Gallery, 1992), 114, ill.

Note: This electronic record was created from historic documentation that does not necessarily reflect the Yale University Art Gallery’s complete or current knowledge about the object. Review and updating of such records is ongoing.