Asian Art

Pair of doors from the Chihil Sutun

1647, rebuilt in 1706, with later additions

Lacquer on wood

76 x 21 3/4 x 1 1/2 in. (193 x 55.3 x 3.8 cm)
Hobart and Edward Small Moore Memorial Collection, Gift of Mrs. William H. Moore
1951.51.61a-b
The Chihil Sutun is a pavilion in the middle of a park built by Shah Abbas II (r. 1642–61) and was used for diplomatic gatherings and other events. The name means “forty columns,” which is a reference to the elegant columns and arches that define this polygonal structure. Painted in lacquer with flowers and animals, these doors date to the early eighteenth-century renovation of the building.
Culture: 
Iranian, Persian, Islamic
Period: 
Safavid dynasty (1501–1722)
Classification: 
Architectural Elements
Status: 
Not on view
Provenance: 

According to A.U.Pope letter of Oct. 9, 1950, the doors were given to the Asia Institute by Mrs. W. Murray Crane, one of the founders of the Institute and board member.

Note: This electronic record was created from historic documentation that does not necessarily reflect the Yale University Art Gallery’s complete or current knowledge about the object. Review and updating of such records is ongoing.