American Decorative Arts
Designer: John L. Mason, American, 1832–1902

Storage Jar

1859–63

Mold-blown soda-lime glass and zinc

6 1/2 x 4 in. (16.51 x 10.16 cm)
Friends of American Arts Acquisition Fund
2010.132.1
In the early nineteenth century, American glass manufacturers developed full-scale piece molds, which were used to create storage jars of uniform thickness and finishing that allowed for standardized closures. This technological innovation revolutionized food storage. John L. Mason produced one of the first successful canning jars, for which he was awarded patent no. 22,186, on November 30, 1858. His jar had a screw-neck with grooves separating the thread from the shoulder. A molded zinc cap threaded onto the jar and created the air-tight seal necessary for longer-term food storage. The first bottles produced for Mason were made by Clayton Parker, a glassblower who worked at Samuel Crowley’s small glass shop in southern New Jersey. Mason’s business thrived and was eventually moved to New Brunswick, New Jersey, where he became associated with the Consolidated Fruit Jar Company. Mason’s initial patent expired in 1875, and by the late nineteenth century, many companies were making jars using Mason’s design. The Mason name, however, was already so closely associated with the jars that it became a generic name for the jar. The Ball Brothers began making food storage jars around 1884–85, and their name is also frequently used to refer to this type of jar.
Culture: 
American
Period: 
19th century
Classification: 
Containers - Glass
Geography: 
Probably made in Crowleytown, New Jersey, United States
Status: 
On view
Provenance: 

North American Glass, Terre Haute, Indiana, 2010
Tom Gifford, Masonville, NY

Bibliography: 

“Acquisitions,” https://artgallery.yale.edu/sites/default/files/files/Pub_Bull_acquisitions_2011.pdf (accessed March 1, 2012).

John Stuart Gordon, American Glass: The Collections at Yale (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Art Gallery, 2018), 167, no. 87.

Note: This electronic record was created from historic documentation that does not necessarily reflect the Yale University Art Gallery’s complete or current knowledge about the object. Review and updating of such records is ongoing.