American Decorative Arts

Lintel or jamb casing from exterior door, from Curtiss-Rose House, N. Branford, CT

1750–75

Wood

4 1/2 x 66 in. (11.43 x 167.64 cm)
Mabel Brady Garvan Collection
1926.114.4.15a
Culture: 
American
Period: 
18th century
Classification: 
Architectural Elements
Geography: 
Made in North Branford, Connecticut
Made in New Haven County
Status: 
On view
Provenance: 

The so-called Rose-Curtiss house of North Branford, CT, was built in the 1720s by Jonathan Rose, Jr. (d. 1768), and his wife Abigail (Barker) Rose. The house was inherited by their son Justus Rose (d. 1810), who in turn passed it to his son, Jonathan Rose (d. 1862). The house was owned later by the Reverend William B. Curtiss and was acquired in 1922 by New Haven Water Company. Some of the woodwork from the first floor of the house, was purchased by Yale in 1926 and subsequently installed as two period rooms in the Art Gallery, then under construction, in 1928-1929. The Rose house was destroyed prior to the flooding of the land by the water company for a reservoir known as Lake Gailliard.

Note: This electronic record was created from historic documentation that does not necessarily reflect the Yale University Art Gallery’s complete or current knowledge about the object. Review and updating of such records is ongoing.